CONICET Independent Researcher
FAMAF Adjunct Professor
National University of Cordoba (Argentina)
E-mail address: cormick (at) df.uba.ar
Postal address: FAMAF, Medina Allende s/n, Ciudad Universitaria. X5000HUA Cordoba, Argentina
Office phone: +54 (0)351 433 4051 ext 408
Cecilia Cormick's CV.
My research interests include quantum optics, quantum information and simulation, quantum statistical mechanics, ultracold trapped ions, systems of composite bosons, and open quantum systems. For more details scroll down to see the list of publications.
Overview of my academic career:
I studied in the Physics
Department of FCEyN, UBA,
where I did both my Master and PhD theses under the supervision of Prof. Juan Pablo Paz.
Paz's research group (QUFIBA) does research on quantum foundations and quantum information.
My Master's thesis was on discrete Wigner functions; at the beginning of my PhD I studied decoherence by spin environments, and later I worked on decoherence simulations using ion traps.
During my PhD I also worked as a teaching assistant at the Physics Department, and took teacher training courses at CEFIEC, UBA.
In February 2010 I started a post-doc at Saarland University, in the group of Prof. Giovanna Morigi.
My research there was related to the dynamics and control of ultracold trapped ions and atoms, and the creation of non-classical states.
In July 2010 I was awarded a two-year postdoctoral research fellowship from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation.
From October 2012 to September 2014 I worked as a postdoc in the group of Prof. Martin Plenio, at Ulm University.
My research focused on the dynamics of open quantum systems, in particular dissipative state preparation and 2D spectroscopy for photosynthetic complexes and trapped ions.
In October 2014 I came back to Argentina with a return fellowship from CONICET and joined the Condensed Matter Group at the
National University of Cordoba.
Since April 2015 I work as tenured researcher in the Condensed Matter Group, and also as Assistant Professor in the same University. In May-June 2015 I gave a course on Quantum Optics as Visiting Professor at the University of Buenos Aires, and again at the University of São Paulo in February 2019.
From February 2015 to September 2017 I was coordinator of the Division
''Quantum Foundations and Information'' of the Argentinian Physical Society. Since October 2017 I am member of the gender comission in the same society.
In November 2019 I was promoted to my present positions in CONICET and FAMAF (Independent Researcher and Adjunct Professor respectively).
Publication list (with links):
- C. Arenz, D. I. Bondar, D. Burgarth, C. Cormick, and H. Rabitz, "Hamiltonian amplification". e-print arXiv:1806.00444.
- A. Ramos and C. Cormick, "Feasibility of the ion-trap simulation of a class of non-equilibrium phase transitions", Eur. Phys. J. D 73, 237 (2019); e-print arXiv:1912.06091.
- P. Céspedes, E. Rufeil-Fiori, P. A. Bouvrie, A. P. Majtey, and C. Cormick, "On the description of composite
bosons in discrete models", Phys. Rev. A. 100, 012309 (2019); e-print arXiv:1903.09906.
- L. Himbert, C. Cormick, R. Kraus, S. Sharma, and G. Morigi, "Mean-field phase diagram of the extended
Bose-Hubbard model of many-body cavity quantum electrodynamics". Phys. Rev. A 99, 043633 (2019); e-print arXiv:1902.05801.
- A. Lemmer, C. Cormick, D. Tamascelli, T. Schaetz, S. F. Huelga, and M. B. Plenio, "A trapped-ion simulator
for spin-boson models with structured environments". New J. Phys. 20, 073002 (2018); e-print arXiv:1704.00629.
- S. Wald, A. Timpanaro, C. Cormick, and G. T. Landi, "Energy barriers of metastable states in first order quantum phase transitions". Phys. Rev. A 97, 023608 (2018); e-print arXiv:1712.07180.
- M. Saraceno, L. Ermann, and C. Cormick, ''Phase-space representations of symmetric informationally complete positive-operator-valued-measure fiducial states''. Phys. Rev. A 95, 032102; e-print arXiv:1612.02351.
- C. Cormick and C. T. Schmiegelow, ''Noise-induced transport in the motion of trapped ions''. Phys. Rev. A 94, 053406 (2016). arXiv:1610.04869.
T. Fogarty, H. Landa, C. Cormick and G. Morigi,
''Optomechanical many-body cooling to the ground state using frustration'',
Phys. Rev. A 94, 023844 (2016).
- T. Fogarty, C. Cormick, H. Landa, V. M. Stojanović, E. Demler and G. Morigi,
''Nano-friction in cavity quantum electrodynamics'',
Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 233602 (2015).
- G. Morigi, J. Eschner, C. Cormick, Y. Lin, D. Leibfried and D. J. Wineland,
''Dissipative quantum control of a spin chain'',
Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 200502 (2015).
- A. Lemmer, C. Cormick, C. T. Schmiegelow, F. Schmidt-Kaler and M. B. Plenio,
''Two-dimensional spectroscopy for the study of ion Coulomb crystals''.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 073001 (2015).
- C. Arenz, C. Cormick, D. Vitali and G. Morigi,
''Generation of two-mode entangled states by quantum reservoir engineering''.
J. Phys. B 46, 224001 (2013).
- C. Cormick, A. Bermudez, S. F. Huelga and M. B. Plenio.
''Preparation of the ground state of a spin chain by dissipation in a structured environment''.
New J. Phys. 15, 073027 (2013).
- J. D. Baltrusch, C. Cormick and G. Morigi.
''Quantum quenches of ion Coulomb
crystals across structural instabilities II: Thermal effects''.
Phys. Rev. A 87, 032116 (2013).
- C. Cormick and G. Morigi.
''Ion chains in high-finesse cavities''.
Phys. Rev. A 87, 013829 (2013).
- F. Cartarius, C. Cormick and G. Morigi.
''Stability and dynamics of ion rings in linear multipole traps''.
Phys. Rev. A 87, 013425 (2013).
- R. Dorner, J. Goold, C. Cormick, M. Paternostro and V. Vedral. ''Emergent thermodynamics in a quenched quantum many-body system''. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 160601 (2012). arXiv:1207.4777.
- J. D. Baltrusch, C. Cormick and G. Morigi. ''Quantum quenches of ion Coulomb crystals across structural instabilities''. Phys. Rev. A 86, 032104 (2012). arXiv:1206.4171.
- C. Cormick and G. Morigi. ''Structural transitions of ion strings in a quantum potential''. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 053003 (2012). arXiv:1203.0470.
- J. D. Baltrusch, C. Cormick, G. De Chiara, T. Calarco and G. Morigi. ''Quantum superpositions of crystalline structures''. Phys. Rev. A 84, 063821 (2011). arXiv:1109.6906. Selected for a Physics Synopsis.
- J. Li, T. Fogarty, C. Cormick, J. Goold, Th. Busch and M. Paternostro. ''Tripartite nonlocality and continuous-variable entanglement in thermal states of trapped ions''. Phys. Rev. A 84, 022321 (2011).
- C. Cormick, T. Schaetz and G. Morigi. ''Trapping ions with lasers''. N. J. Phys. 13, 043019 (2011). arXiv:1012.3570.
- C. Cormick and J. P. Paz. ''Observing different phases for the dynamics of entanglement in an ion trap''. Phys. Rev. A 81, 022306 (2010). arXiv:0912.1602.
- C. Cormick and J. P. Paz. ''Decoherence of Bell states by local interactions with a dynamic spin environment''. Phys. Rev. A 78, 012357 (2008). arXiv:0804.0241.
- C. Cormick and J. P. Paz. ''Decoherence induced by a dynamic spin environment: the universal regime''. Phys. Rev. A 77, 022317 (2008). arXiv:0709.2622.
- C. Cormick and J. P. Paz. ''Interference in discrete Wigner functions''. Phys. Rev. A 74, 062315 (2006). arXiv:quant-ph/0608200.
- C. Cormick, E. Galvão, D. Gottesman, J. P. Paz and A. Pittenger. ''Classicality in discrete Wigner functions''. Phys. Rev. A 73, 012301 (2006). arXiv:quant-ph/0506222.